Thursday, May 27, 2010

Final Check In Letter

Dear Ms. Priester,

Prior to coming to this class, I kind of had a negative experience in my English classes. I did not do much work and because I didn't really care about it. I failed tests and I didn't turn in work. Once I was in foster care I realized that I need to care about my school work. I started really working hard and actually working up to my potential. Prior to coming to this class I had only a basic understanding of English and Language Arts. Throughout 9th grade I was a horrible English student. I literally did nothing. The only things that I even attempted to do were the easy little things that interested me. One of my biggest problems was essays. I hated essays with a passion. I was weird in the way that I actually was learning in class, I just didn't show it. I payed attention in class, I just didn't turn in any work. In the beginning of my sophmore year, I was starting to care about my work. I started to work harder to turn in assignments. Still, I had a problem with procrastinating. I paid even more attention in class and I did whatever I could to make sure my assignments were turned in on time.

I don't know exactly what changed but when I left my home in 2009 I started to not only work harder but also to actually care. When I came to San Pasqual Academy and I realized hat I wouldn't be returning to my school, Escondido High School. I think that when I realized this, I knew that I needed to leave my old life behind me, especially my slacking ways. I saw being here as a new opportunity to start over. I became concerned with my future. I knew that I was a crucial part in my education and that if I didn't care about it, why should anyone else? I wouldn't get help if I didn't ask for it and it wasn't even that I needed help with the work; I needed help with myself.

Indirectly, through this class I have learned to care. Through your difficult curriculum I have learned that I really need to push myself if I want to succeed. I want to say thank you for all that you have taught me and that I will miss your class next year, whether I remain her at SPA or I move in with my dad.

-Jennifer Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment